Sasau Monastery

From Kingdom Come: Deliverance Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast travel destination  Sasau Monastery
Location sazava mesto.png
Details
Type
Monastery
Location
North of Sasau
Geographical position
Map Sasau monastery.jpg

Sasau Monastery, also known as Sázava Monastery, is a location in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Codex Codex entry[edit | edit source]

Sasau Monastery is situated on a cliff above one of the many meanders of Sasau River, which isolates it on various sides. Its origins date back to the first half of the 11th century, when it was founded by Duke Oldřich at the instigation of the monk Procopius. Saint Procopius (canonised in 1204) became renowned particularly for wanting to preserve the Old Church Slavonic religious rites in the monastery, rather than adopting the Latin liturgy. According to the oldest document mentioning the construction and development of Sasau Monastery, “Vita Maior: the 11th Century Legend of Saint Procopius”, the saint initially lived in a cave before building a church consecrated to the Virgin Mary and Saint John the Baptist.
The monastery of the Slavonic brothers imitated the design of the Abbey of St. Gall in Switzerland. The main building in the complex was the church with an adjoining wooded cloister. The original dwelling of the abbot was located on the western side of the courtyard, below the presbytery. The monastery garden is situated in the northern part of the grounds. Here remnants of the first Sasau stone church, consecrated in 1070 to the Holy Cross, have been unearthed.
After the expulsion of the Old Church Slavonic monks from Sasau, the monastery was taken over by Latinist monks from Břevnov. Abbot Děthart continued with the rebuilding works, completing a simple, single-nave church in his lifetime. From the mid-12th century onwards, work resumed on the original plans and the abbey church was reconstructed into a massive, ornamented, three-nave basilica. The oldest, simple wooden edifices from the beginnings of the monastery included the cloister (monks’ quarters), the prelature (abbot’s quarters) and the infirmary (hospital for monks). The cloister around the elysian courtyard consisted of a quadrangle hallway with window openings, the monks’ dormitory, the chapter house, the study, the refectory (dining hall) and kitchen.

NPCs[edit | edit source]

Points of interest[edit | edit source]

Associated quests[edit | edit source]