Playing with the Devil
"Playing with the Devil"
Woods west of Uzhitz
Description[edit | edit source]
- Three village wenches in Uzhitz want to use a magic ointment, risking their lives and immortal souls.
- Father Godwin asked me to investigate what was going on in Uzhitz. He said Gertrude the herb-woman had sold three women some magic ointment and he wanted me to find out more. Gertrude admitted it was true, but claimed she meant no harm. She said the ointment was just a herbal concoction, but it could cause strange visions.
- The trail led from the herb-woman straight to the women she's sold the ointment to. They wanted to smear themselves with it and invoke dark powers to rid the land of the Cumans.
- I followed the women to where they carried out their witches' sabbath. They smeared themselves with ointment and began invoking dark forces.
- I watched what happened in the women's sabbath. They smeared themselves with the ointment and then started acting like they were out of their minds, talking nonsense and behaving as if they were seeing visions. They kept going on about how God had forsaken them and called on the Prince of Darkness.
- I got involved in the incantations and invocations of the Devil and the women took me for his messenger, if not the Satan himself.
- After I got involved in the sabbath, the women pounced on me and smeared the ointment on me, so I very soon joined them in their diabolical trip. The whole world changed before my eyes. The last thing I remember is that the women wanted me to cavort with them. But then came a rude awakening - some woodcutters burst into the clearing and wanted to kill the women.
- I told the Parish Priest what happened in the woods - that I'd fought with some woodcutters who wanted to hack the Devil out of the witches, although in the visions I was having I took them for demons themselves. I think this will be troubling my conscience for a long time yet.
- I told the herb-woman what happened after the women used her ointment. I expect she won't be selling any more of that stuff in future!
Objectives[edit | edit source]
- Go and see Gertrude, the herb-woman, and find out what she incited the Uzhitz women to do.
- Speak to the village women about the magical ointment. (Khuta, Vera, and Zlata)
- Go to the village women’s meeting place at dusk.
- Follow the women to the woods.
- (Optional) Follow the women at a distance and don’t interfere.
- (Optional) Cavort with the women.
- Interject in the chanting.
- Tell the Parish Priest what happened.
- Tell the herb-woman how it ended up.